Ana içeriğe atla

All in a good cause, continued...

Well last week’s plans to swim twice to kick start the training for Swimathon, (http://www.swimathon.org/index.php ) were only half fulfilled. An ill child, a cat with an unexpected fit and sheer exhaustion were the excuses. I hope to do the 100 length challenge in April and have not swum very much over the last year.


But now the child is better, the cat released from the vet and I’ve had a lie in this morning, so those excuses are no longer valid and it’s time to return to the training plan. The only problem now is the back. Yesterday morning I was hiding the card under the bed ready for this morning when my back went into acute spasm… necessitating hot water bottles, analgesia and very careful movements for the rest of the day. By bed time it was easing off as long as there were no sudden movements.


This morning the back was generally a little better and swimming is a non jarring exercise, so I decided to go for it. I took a rather reluctant Techie Adviser with me. Sunday mornings are for a lie in, which for him can mean lunchtime. We didn’t get to the pool until 11:15. I thought I’d done well.


A Sunday morning dip at the local baths is very variable in its quality and depends largely on how many small folk are there with parents or grandparents. This morning wasn’t too bad. One large father chucking his two small children around, a granny with an under five and a handful of mums and toddlers were there in addition to the five or six of us plodding up and down the lengths.


Techie Adviser (16) has now been equipped with new goggles (Zoggs) and a ‘borrowed from father’ pair of budgie smugglers. His swimming was considerably smoother than last week, which he put down to reduced drag and an ability to see where he was going. I managed to match him over 4 lengths, while he did back stroke and breast stroke… but he creamed past me on the crawl.


Last time we did the challenge both of us did 200 lengths. At the start of the training sessions back then I beat him quite easily. By the end he beat me quite easily. He does crawl, I do breast stroke and we each completed in less than two hours. We are both two years older. Which for him is two years stronger. And for me is too close to fifty.


Anyhoo, today I did 50 lengths in half and hour. So I should be on target for the 100 in less than an hour.


On the way home Techie A asked if he could have his own pair of swimmers. Fair enough. What did he want?


“A proper pair of streamline Speedos,” please.


I knew I’d get him hooked.



[Via http://bearsy.wordpress.com]


Yorumlar