Ana içeriğe atla

Deep Water Aerobics

Deep Water Aerobics

Because National Water Safety Month is coming up, I decided to try Water Aerobics (8 AM Tuesdays at Wulf Rec Center) this week

I found a group of friendly, enthusiastic women in the deep end of the pool, who all greeted me warmly and supported me as I learned what to do. Because most had gray hair and some were enrolled in the SilverSneakers program for older adults, I assumed this would be a fairly easy, not-too-challenging workout. 

WRONG!

Blogger Lisa HG
in her flotation belt
Instructor Marilyn Krause gave me a flotation belt to keep me from sinking and told me to do what felt comfortable. Then she led us in a series of intervals over the next hour, including many moves that felt suspiciously like (kind of wet) yoga. (Thankfully, no inversions.) But there were splits, lunges, jumping jacks, twists, jogs, and so much more. There was never a dull moment, and my heart was pounding the whole time.

Why Water Exercise?

  • It's low-impact
  • It builds strength
  • It's a balanced workout
  • It stabilizes the trunk (core)
  • It increases flexibility
  • It builds cardio-vascular endurance
  • It burns 400-500 calories per hour, so it helps with weight loss
  • It helps with injury recovery
Instructor Marilyn Krause
used to be a Jazzercise teacher

Marilyn suggests you try Water Aerobics three times, because by the third time you have learned the moves and you are now able to benefit. I was breathing hard the whole time and actually sweating in the pool. I felt as tingly afterward as after a good yoga class, but with the added cardio benefits. Definitely a worthwhile way to spend an hour! 

As Marilyn says, "The water doesn't move you -- YOU move the WATER!"

Try it! 

Learn More





Happy crew

Stretching at the end


Yorumlar