Ana içeriğe atla

I Hate to Exercise - Now What?

I don't like to exercise. Well, I should say it's hard to take time out of my day to "work out" when I have so many other things that I should do. Beyond that, there are so many other things I'd rather do if given some precious free time. I'm a read a book or watch a guilty pleasure TV show kind of person. However, we all know that exercise is necessary for good, long lasting health. There are so many benefits - strengthening our bodies to fight illness, reducing our risk of disease, reducing stress, keeping our muscles and bones strong, and so much more. Unfortunately, knowing all of this may still not be enough to keep those of us unmotivated exercisers - motivated.

What's a person like me to do? I've come up with two strategies that help me. The first one may surprise you. We're always told that you have to want to do it for yourself. Well guess what- you don't. It's ok to receive outside motivation. You'll still be reaping the rewards. Example: I exercise for my dog. He needs a walk everyday. It's important for his health and to get his energy out. So most days we take a 1/2 hour brisk walk. It's something I wouldn't do for myself if he were not around. My motivation is his excitement when I get home. He knows it's time to go. How could I disappoint? What about exercising with your kids to get them moving? A few weeks ago my daughter had about a month off from swimming. Knowing how important it was for her to keep in shape, I agreed to be her running partner. I hate running, but spending time with her and doing it for her benefit was just the motivation I needed.

My second strategy - multitask. I love the idea of accomplishing more than one thing at a time - especially when both things are good for my health. Enlist a friend to workout with you. You can catch up and get your heart rate going at the same time. I'm sure you can think of someone in your life that could benefit from your time and attention. Call them up - make a bike riding or tennis date. Another idea for us multitaskers is to reduce your stress and work out at the same time. Get out into nature and appreciate the world around you. Notice everything and give thanks for this beautiful world and for all the gifts in your life. Gratitude and mindfulness while you hike or bike or row accomplishes a work out for the body and the soul.

Betsy McGuire invites you to visit http://www.chickpeawellness.com/ and sign up to receive her mind, body, and spirit blog the day entries are made. You can also "like" Chickpea Wellness on Facebook and receive new articles on your wall.

Copyright 2012 Chickpea Wellness, LLC

Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/?expert

Yorumlar