Ana içeriğe atla

Bench Press - A Few Helpful Tips

ByJordan S Scheller

Bench Press

The bench press is an extremely popular lift, and is known by everyone who has ever touched a weight. For that reason, countless weight lifters are trying to pump up their bench press. While the bench press is a very popular lift, there is a lot of variation of technique that is used. Incline, grip, and elbow location are just a few variables in the lift. All the factors I just mentioned can alter the press in a huge way. With all the differences in technique, it is important to find the one that suits you the best.

Incline

The first factor that I mentioned earlier is the incline. The pectoral muscles are divided into two separate parts: the upper pec and the lower pec. Many people might suggest that a decline bench increases the lower pec, while an incline bench focuses on the upper pec. According to studies, this was somewhat correct. The variation in incline did affect the areas slightly different, but the difference was just not enough to matter.

A rule of thumb that I use with any lift is: variation is always good. I would suggest using variation on your bench press, but you don't have to so much focus on which part of the pec you are working. Instead, just make sure you have a good dose of incline, decline and regular press.

Grip

The next factor that I mentioned is the grip. I am sure that you have been told numerous different stories about various grips. I am not here to tell you which one you have to use; instead I just want to share with you some personal experience. Based on experience, I found that my form and overall bench was at its best with a wider grip. This means that my hands are out slightly wider than my shoulders. This grip utilizes my pectorals and lats to do most of the work, and takes a load off of the triceps.

Now, if you were looking for a triceps workout, a closer grip would achieve just that. Like I said earlier, variation is always beneficial.

So, back to the bench press, when actually performing the bench, it is essential that you bring the bar to the center of your chest. You do not want the bar to stray over your head or your stomach. You want to keep the bar in your power line.

Another important part of the bench press is your legs and bottom. While in the weight room, I often see people benching with their bottom way up in the air, while struggling with their weight. This is wrong for many reasons, one, you run the risk of pulling something in your leg, and two, it is not a proper bench press, since you are using unfair leverage. While benching, I focus on keeping my bottom on the bench, and I pull my legs back under the bench towards myself to reduce the temptation of using my legs.

I hope that you have found a few of my tips helpful, and I wish you the best of luck in your lifting.

Jordan enjoys sharing his ideas and experience which cover a vast expanse of categories. If you are interested in ankle weights, I would suggest that you follow the link to learn all you need to know about the benefits, risks, and much more about Ankle Weights. Follow me on Twitter to discover Walking With Ankle Weights.

Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/?expert

Yorumlar