Ana içeriğe atla

Ending the 1,200 Calorie Myth

As the summer approaches, everyone seems to have one goal in mind: to lose weight and look great in a bikini. So how do you accomplish those goals? I'm willing to bet money that you said something along the lines of "diet and exercise." Well, you aren't totally wrong, but there's one myth of weight loss that I'm looking to dispel, and that is the idea that we need to drastically reduce our caloric intake to lose weight. Many diet products and "nutritionists" have contributed to this idea that we need to starve ourselves to get the bodies we want.

First of all, let me start off by saying how much I loathe the word "diet" in and of itself. The word diet is supposed to refer to our eating habits--it should not mean "depriving yourself of energy (calories)." I do not diet, and I never will. Rather, I attempt to eat clean, whole foods. I do not count my calories, and as a result, I never feel starved or undernourished.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let me explain a bit more. If you're looking for sustainable, healthy weight loss, extreme caloric restriction is not the answer! Just answer this for me: how do you feel when you're on a diet? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm gonna guess you said that you feel weak, hungry, or both. Here's the trap that so many girls (even myself) have fallen into: eating a small breakfast, maybe a banana or an egg, a salad for lunch and maybe another salad for dinner. While all of those foods are healthy, you're not eating nearly enough! Especially if you're exercising. 1,200 calories is enough food for a 10-year-old, at best. As a fully grown adult (or even a teenager), you should be eating way more than that. Now, I can't answer just how many calories you should be eating, because that all depends on your height, weight, gender and activity level. I can tell you, however, that it should definitively be more than 1,200.

"Food is an important part of a healthy diet." -Fran Lebowitz

Why isn't extreme calorie cutting helpful? You may see results in the short term, but I can promise you that neither your mind or your body will be able to sustain that for a long period of time. We need a certain number of calories just to maintain basic bodily functions (brain function, respiration, etc.), so if you're not feeding your body enough, you are sending your body into a panic. For women, restriction of calories can result in amenorrhea (loss of menstrual cycle), which, if sustained for long periods of time, can lead to osteoporosis. Additionally, if your body is desperate enough for fuel, it will start using muscle tissue for energy, and we certainly don't want that! Yes, you will lose fat, but you will also lose muscle along with it!

My best recommendation is, as always, to eat intuitively. Do not deprive yourself of the nutrients your body so desperately needs. If you feel hungry, eat food. If you're not hungry, don't eat! Make sure that the foods you are eating are nutrient dense so that you can get your daily recommended value of iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, etc. Step away from the packaged, processed crap on the grocery store shelves and head to your local farmer's market. This is something I will repeat constantly because I truly believe it: if you eat well, you will not feel hungry or deprived. You will be able to free yourself from counting calories and stressing over what to eat.

When I first started my fitness journey, I fell into the trap of trying to drastically reduce my intake. I went to the gym, walked to and from class, ate "well" (what I thought was "well" at the time), and I never noticed any change. My body wasn't getting the fuel it needed to sustain my activity level. My best recommendation is to play around with your diet and see what works best for you. Find out how much food you need to feel energized and satiated.

Remember that all calories are not created equal! Just because something is "low calorie" does not mean it is healthy! 100 calories of carrots and 100 calories of chocolate chip cookies are not the same. When you're planning your weight loss goals, make sure they are sustainable in the long term so that you can succeed and maintain your sanity at the same time.

Yorumlar