Ana içeriğe atla

Adult Modern/Jazz Dance with Liz DeVille

Liz DeVille demonstrates a move to a participant
in EPRD's Adult Modern/Jazz Dance Class
This week, the EPRD Fitness Blogger tried Adult Modern/Jazz Dance, taught by Liz DeVille. In the interest of full disclosure, let me start off by saying I am NOT a dancer. I took one tap class decades ago, and I have hoofed it a little in shows at Center/Stage (which required hours and hours and HOURS of drilling in my bedroom because of my 2-left-feet tendencies). 

I am a cyclist and a runner, NOT a dancer. 


So I entered this class (3-4 pm Tuesdays at Wulf  Rec Center -- the wooden-floored dance studio is upstairs, right off the weight room) with more than a little trepidation. Heck, I didn't even know what to wear! I showed up in bike shorts and running shoes, and no one made fun of me.  Liz welcomed me with a big smile, and suggested I may want to do the first class in just socks, so I shed the shoes. (She said if I decide I love it, I could eventually invest in dance sneakers.)


Liz  describes the class as "for the adult wanna-be dancer," and told me, "There are no wrong moves, just infinite creativity and laughs!"


We started by standing along a barre at the back of the classroom, looking at ourselves in mirrors that lined the front. Liz carefully described and modeled each move before we tried it, and then provided guidance as I attempted to kick up, lean back, stretch left and shimmy, to the thumping of loud 80s disco music that made me smile from the very first step.


It was fun -- really fun! There was lots of hip and lower body work involved, and I could feel how much it helped with flexibility, balance, coordination and leg strength. The other students in the class were very kind and patient.


By the end of the class I was shimmying across the floor of the dance studio and back like Jennifer Beals from Flashdance. The most surprising part was how much fun it was! It's rare that you leave a workout grinning from ear to ear. It was food for the soul as well as a workout for the body. 

Try it!

Sign up at the EPRD website.

About the Instructor: Liz Deville has a master's degree in dance, danced professionally for 20 years, was the Wellness Director of Evergreen Fitness, and currently teaches Pilates as well as competing in Country Ballroom.



Yorumlar