Ana içeriğe atla

My initiation to cycling

In the spring of 2008, I started a new job and a few of the guys there were into cycling.  I mean, really into cycling.  These guys had all possible types of bicycles:  road, cyclocross, track, BMX, mountain bikes, you get the picture.


Like any other kid, I spent my childhood on a bicycle—until I got my driver’s license, anyway.  However, these guys opened my eyes to a whole new world.  A world where chains are lubed and tires are inflated to the right pressure.  Seriously, knowing how to properly set up your bicycle makes your ride that much more enjoyable.


I took out my old early-nineties road bike and brought it in to the local bike shop for a tune-up.  It made the technician giggle, but his professionalism prevented him from dropping to the floor laughing.  After a few days in the shop, it was time to take the old two-wheeler for a spin.


My first ride was tough.  After five kilometers, I stopped for a breather and a drink of water long enough to question what the hell I had gotten myself into.


Nonetheless, I fell in love with the sport.  And why not?  It was low-impact on my body, I was getting some fresh air, plus it was a great way of staying fit.  Furthermore, I could just go out for a ride whenever I felt like it.  I didn’t have to depend on other people, which is obviously the case with team sports.


Throughout the summer, I purchased some items that brought my cycling experience to another level:  clipless pedals, a bike computer, cycling-specific attire, and ultimately, a new bike (well, new to me, anyway):  a third-hand Devinci Tosca 2006 cyclocross.  I liked the versatility of a cyclocross, which allows me to switch between cross and road tires.


At summer’s end, I even completed a 200km ride.  What made it even more satisfying was the fact that it was a very challenging ride, full of climbs.


In my next post, I’ll discuss how cycling pushed me to better educate myself on the subject of nutrition.



[Via http://myluckydime.wordpress.com]


Yorumlar