Ana içeriğe atla

Let's Make Some SOUP!

As you may or may not know, I am somewhat famous (hahaha) for my soup.  And what you may also not know is that there is a process to making soups and stocks, and it is really easy!  I took a class in Seattle about 20 years ago that was a “Tools and Techniques” class.  The first session was soups and stocks – which is a good basis for most all other cooking.
So in this issue – we are going to MAKE SOME SOUP and you are going to get some of my most favorite (and the hubster’s favorite) soup recipes.

Step 1 – The BASICs – this is the same for all soups.  You start with a mirepoix (pronounced meer-pwah).  Sounds complicated, but is basically a rough chop of onion, celery, and carrots.  The technical ratio is 2:1:1 – but I usually use one big onion, 1 celery stalk and 1 carrot - (I don’t measure) and sometimes I will add extra carrot for sweetness.  

You put this rough chop in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat with olive oil, salt and pepper.  You want this to cook until it begins to form brown bits on the bottom of the pan.  Continue to cook until the onion is slightly browned all over.  These brown bits are called “fond”, and FOND is where the flavor is!   This is the basis of all soups.  (If you want to make your soup in a crock pot, I would suggest making several batches of Mirepoix or a big batch and freezing it in separate bags to then thaw and use for your base in the crock pot.)

From this point, you can choose your ingredients:

Chicken Soup!
For Chicken soup, I generally will use left over roasted chicken. Add your chicken and stock to the pot.  I like to use organic chicken stock but now I am using “better than bouillon” because I make a lot of soup in the winter and it takes up a lot less room than boxes of stock!  Add about a quart or so of stock (or more) depending on the size of the pot and how much mirepoix and chicken you have.  If you are going to add rice or noodles, add a bit extra stock.

Then you can add noodles or rice if you prefer.  If you add rice, you need to cook the rice according to the instructions and then add to your soup about 20 minutes before serving.  If you add too soon, it will totally disintegrate. I like Lundburgs Long Grain / Wild Rice Blend and you can get it in the Natural food section at Kroger.  It takes about 45 minutes to cook- so you can be simmering your soup while the rice is cooking.  Add the rice and simmer 10 to 15 minutes and serve.  

Butternut Squash Soup!
For this soup, you need to peel and chop the squash and then toss in olive oil.  Roast in a roasting pan at 425 degrees.  Toss after about 20 minutes and continue to roast until it is browned on all sides.  Let the squash cool a bit and then add the squash and the mirepoix to a blender or food processor and pulse.  I prefer mine somewhat chunky and not too smooth.  You may have to do this in batches.  Return mixture to pot, add stock and then simmer for about 40 minutes.  You may also want to add sage and nutmeg.

Italian White Bean Soup!
For this soup, I use canned Cannellini beans.  I will use two cans rinsed.  I will smash some of them with a potation masher and leave some whole.  Add the Stock and simmer.  Serve with parmesan cheese on top.

NOTES – for Bean and Squash Soup – to make vegetarian, just use vegetable stock.  I also add chopped kale or spinach to all of my soups to add nutrition.  Just throw it in about 20 minutes before serving.

Yorumlar