Ana içeriğe atla

Adult Fitness at the Pinnacle

This week I tried Adult Fitness, a class that combines cardiovascular conditioning with strength and core training and flexibility. The class is held around the base of the climbing pinnacle at Buchanan Rec Center.


John Krane was the teacher (filling in for Susan Wescott). He had us each set up with a mat, a couple sets of dumbbells (light and heavy) and a step. He explained that this week we were going to do Tabata, which apparently means 20 seconds of intensity interspersed with ten seconds of recovery, four sets for each activity.

And then he started right in. The class moved quickly and I didn’t have a great view from the other side of the Pinnacle. He mixed u it up: squats, box jumps, jumping jacks, lunges with weights, push-ups, crunches, planks (which is holding the top of a pushup), side-to-side using the steps (which I imagine is great for downhill skiing), jogging in place, and more.

The woman next to me told me that Susan, the usual teacher, has been doing a “Plank Challenge” – holding them for as long as possible – and that it has really improved her strength.

The workout was fun and challenging, and it kept my attention -- and suddenly it was over. Well, that wasn’t so bad, I thought! (Although I was covered with sweat.) 

The next day my muscles screamed with every step I took. Wow! Effective! I will definitely be back!




Yorumlar