Ana içeriğe atla

A Colonoscopy Can Be Difficult and Painful

It has taken me a while to write about having a traumatic experience with a colonoscopy.

I shared on my Facebook and Instagram that I was turning 50 and would be experiencing my first colonoscopy.

I took my husband a few years ago and all went very well. I understood the prep for the process as the worst part and the rest would be a breeze.

Sadly, this was not my experience.

Let me share that I have a very high pain threshold. I had both of my children without drugs or epidurals, and it takes a great deal of discomfort for me to complain.


Colonoscopy Prep 

The prep for the colonoscopy was horrible, and I nearly vomited up the Moviprep solution each time I had to drink it. I expected that so I was prepared that this was not going to be fun. Within an hour of drinking the solution, my frequent bathroom visits began.

It felt like self-induced stomach flu of the worst kind. I retreated under several blankets after each run to the commode. I had to drink more solution at 3:30am and continue the toilet runs up to the time of leaving for the hospital at 7:30am. Needless to say by the time I was done, my poo looked like pee, and I lost 5lbs literally overnight. This is not the recommended or safe way to lose weight, but understand it needs to happen prior to this type of procedure.

I went into the colonoscopy thinking after the toilet trauma was complete, the rest would be smooth sailing. I was ready for my short nap and waking to an all-clear report.  


The Procedure


The doctor was great and explained everything thoroughly and the nurses took really good care of me. I was covered with warm blankets, IV in place ready to move to the procedure room. Once the IV anesthesia was administered, I fell asleep quickly but what happened next was like an excerpt from a horror movie. 

Extreme pain in my stomach began and I felt myself screaming like in a dream - it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, and to stop, stop, stop. The anesthesia kept me trapped in my mind and body as I  endured unbelievable pain. It was like having a nightmare and not being able to move.

In the distance, I did hear a loud voice say “do you want us to stop” and I do remember saying “wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.”  I was thinking if they stop, I would have to do this again. There was no way that was going to happen. I don't know what I sounded like or how I moved during this process of extreme pain under IV sedation but was hoping someone would help me.

It could be more pain relief was placed in my IV, but I don't know that. What I do know is that the pain was unbearable. My colonoscopy was far from a breeze and I felt traumatized by the event.

The doctor did explain in my haze state upon check out that my colon is very compact with many bends. This was diagnosed as a tortuous colon. It caused a rigid application of the scope and caused pain similar to childbirth during the procedure. His recommendation was that I go under general anesthesia for my next colonoscopy. 

Recovery

It took my body a couple of days to recover from the anesthesia. I didn't feel good physically or emotionally about what happened to me. I had to know if other people experienced extreme pain during a colonoscopy so began online research to discover I was not alone. 

What a relief that I could read forums of so many individuals sharing my same story. I think what bothers me the most is not being properly informed. I went into my colonoscopy with a positive attitude and came out with post-traumatic stress about the event.

I believe that the medical paperwork prior to the procedure should outline extreme pain with colonoscopy can be experienced. And, in this case, measures will be taken to make the patient comfortable during the procedure.


Preventative Medicine is Important  

I'm not writing this to say I am now against having a colonoscopy because I do believe in preventative medicine. I am happy to report that my colon is clear for ten years. I will be investigating different colon screening methods the next time.

I am writing this blog to inform people that extreme pain can be experienced, and it's not always a breeze for everyone. I'm in the small percentage of those who don't respond well to traditional colonoscopy methods. 

I was shocked but also relieved to discover my diagnosis of a tortuous colon. However, it was unfortunate to undergo such discomfort to find out.

I felt an obligation to inform you about my personal experience as a voice of information about health-related subjects.

Being your own healthcare advocate is important. I am hopeful the documents pre-colonoscopy will be revised to include a thorough statement of colonoscopy procedure expectations.

Thanks for stopping by my Blog. Remember to subscribe and never miss a free update.

LEAVE A COMMENT





Yorumlar